The Sisters of Charity, a Catholic order of religious sisters, have been providing care to those in need since their arrival to Australia from Ireland in 1838 where they provided services to the women’s prison at Parramatta, Sydney. In 1893, St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne was founded in Fitzroy. Caritas Christi Hospice Kew was opened in 1938.
St Vincent’s (SV’s) is now a national organisation with services in Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland and Tasmania. SV’s continues to grow and meet the needs of the community with a range of facilities including public and private hospitals, innovative primary and home based care, residential aged care, mental health services, palliative care, drug and alcohol services, research institutes and correctional health services. The health services provided by SVH in Victoria have a special emphasis on the poor and disadvantaged.The values that underpin the work of the Sisters of Charity and the St Vincent’s Hospital group are justice, integrity, compassion and excellence.